12.17.2009

Dear Santa (I've been a good girl)

Such a fun afternoon, that I had to sit down and blog.

Isn't Christmas fun? If you don't agree... just remember back to your own childhood, then get down and look at it through your kid's eyes. That's what I've been doing lately, and I promise that magic of the holiday is back with me full-force.

Today was the kiddo's Christmas parties at school. (Pictures later I promise... although I forgot to bring a memory card for my Nikon D90 and had to use my Olympus P&S instead... dumb mommy photographer moment that I will continue to kick myself for I am sure).

First I headed to Nate's party... complete with Christmas Tree shaped "Little Debbies", colored Goldfish crackers, and Capri Suns. Mmmmm Kindergarten gourmet fo'sure. :)

He was one proud little boy showing off his mama to his class. I think his smile was in danger of cutting his face in two. He was shining as bright as a new package. Man that made my heart warm. There were only two other mom's in attendance. One little girl kept crying "I want MY mommy" the entire party. I felt really bad for her. Parents --- take a two hour lunch and go to your kid's holiday parties at least once during the year. Seriously easy way to make your kids feel valued and important. (Okay, off my soapbox now)... Next, I was asked to play DJ for the "Musical Reindeer" game. (Think Musical Chairs, but everyone sits on the floor in a circle and passes a stuffed reindeer from person to person around the circle until the music stops, whoever is holding at that point is "out"... ad nauseam. We played about 5 times. Mariah Carey on repeat for that long with screaming 5 year olds is enough to give anyone a headache, so I refuse to blame it on the sinus infection I am starting to get. (hahaha) No, but really... it was a lot of fun and I got to see a portion of Nate's day that I don't normally get to. Priceless.

Next I was off to Jenna's classroom on the other side of the school (after getting lost by turning down the wrong hallway... TWICE.) Her class was more structured and tame in comparison, but throw in a couple pieces of candy, a cookie and a robust game of "Christmas Words Bingo" and the noise of a roomfull of second graders could rival the 5 year olds anyday. I was again asked to be DJ (what, do I look like the loudmouth out of the group of parents or what?). As I called out words like "Santa" "Tree" "Sliegh"... I couldn't help be amazed that my sweet little girl was READING this year and writing letters to Santa (all. by. herself.) Where has the last 7 years gone and who is this little lady that says "please" and "thank you" and "yes ma'am" without having to be reminded now? I have to say... I am one proud but nostalgic mama. I kinda miss that curly-haired little girl that wouldn't leave my sight for more than 1 minute.

My favorite was reading her letter to Santa. As a photographer, I have to say its fun to see her interested in the same stuff I am and asking for a digital camera for Christmas (shhhh... don't tell her, but I have it on good record that Santa will be getting her exactly what she wants this year!)

And it was fun at the end of the party when she said "Mom, can you give me one of your business cards, my friend and I want to schedule a playdate and she's going to give it to her mom." So grown up.

Where is that pause button again?

No comments:

Post a Comment